Oral Health

/Oral Health
Oral Health 2018-05-14T15:45:00+00:00

Adjunct Treatment for Moderate to Severe Periodontitis

Perio-1 is a late-stage clinical adjunct to scaling and root planing (SRP), for the treatment of moderate to severe chronic periodontitis. Perio-1  delivers fluorescent energy to the periodontal pockets and gums to quicken, facilitate and limit pain during SRP as it is traditionally painful and may require frequent and regular follow-up treatments. Perio-1 is supported by clinical data, an excellent safety profile, a CE mark in Europe and strong global patent protection.

Clinical benefits of Perio-1 as an SRP adjunct:

  • Facilitates periodontal pocket debridement and instrumentation
  • Decreases pain, bleeding and inflammation in the pockets and gums
  • Speeds up the SRP procedure
  • Emulsifies bacterial biofilm enabling the easy removal of bacteria
  • Reduces periodontal pocket depth (PPD)
  • Decreases clinical attachment levels/loss (CAL)

What is Periodontitis?

Periodontitis, caused by plaque build-up on the teeth, is the most common cause of tooth loss in adults. It is characterized by the progressive, chronic infection and inflammation of the gums and surrounding tissue. In it’s mildest form, the disease is termed gingivitis, which is accompanied by swollen, bleeding gums.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 50% of Americans aged 30 or older have periodontitis with the prevalence increasing to 70% for adults aged 65 and older.

Plaque and tartar build-up causes pockets and moderate bone loss around tooth

How is Perio-1 performed?

  • A sterile syringe is filled with Perio-1’s Light Absorbing Molecule (LAM) gel
  • The tip of the syringe is inserted into the periodontal pockets, where the LAM gel is released; excess gel may flow out over the gums
  • A standard LED curing lamp is illuminated to activate the LAM gel for 20 seconds per tooth
  • Once the gel has been activated, scaling and root planning is performed (see “
    What is Scaling and Root Planing
    ”)
  • Steps 1-4 are repeated a second time for optimal efficacy

Step 2 and 3: Perio-1 Activated

Step 4: SRP

67%

67% of investigators felt that incorporating Perio-1 into their Scaling and Root Planing (SRP) procedure made it easier with the rest noting no difference1

53%

A reduction of at least 3mm in periodontal pocket depth (PPD) was observed in more than half of the Perio-1 group compared to 6% in the SRP alone group2

57%

Perio-1 halts the progression of gum attachment loss by decreasing clinical attachment levels (CAL) by 54% compared to 16% in the SRP alone group2

78%

Perio-1 patients felt less pain than patients who underwent SRP alone as demonstrated by a 78% decrease in the Visual Analogue Scale (VAS) pain scores2

78%

According to investigators, Perio-1 led to a decrease in bleeding and inflammation in 77% of patients with the remaining 23% noting no change compared to SRP alone1

Data on File

(1) The evaluation of the clinical effects of the klox biophotonic perio-1 gel with the Bluephase® G2 LED curing lamp as an adjunct to the non-surgical treatment of moderate to severe chronic periodontitis (CL-K1004-P001)

(2) Evaluation of the clinical effect of the klox biophotonic system as an adjunct to the non surgical treatment of chronic periodontitis (IIT-K1004-P001)

What is Scaling and Root Planing?

According to the Journal of Evidenced-Based Dental Practice, the scaling and root planing (SRP) procedure also known as deep cleaning remains the gold standard for the nonsurgical management of periodontitis. Scaling and root planing teeth is performed by either a dentist or a dental hygienist and may require several appointments depending on the amount of tartar build-up. Anesthesia is often required as patients generally experience tooth sensitivity, bleeding, discomfort and pain.

The procedure involves using a scaling tool to manually remove all plaque, tartar and bacterial toxins and deposits from the teeth and root surfaces. Then, root planning serves to smooth all rough areas on the roots’ surfaces, removing cementum and surface dentin. Smooth root surfaces halt bacteria from re-adhering underneath the gumline, which promotes firm and healthy reattachment of the gums.